Sunday, October 5, 2008

ENERGY CONSERVATION PROJECT

A LOOK AT CONSERVING

Incandescent lights versus LED lights, how much energy do you really conserve?
In the world of rising costs and diminishing resources people are looking at trying to save money and reduce waste. One of the ways people have started trying to conserve energy is the use of LED light bulbs.  The use LED light bulbs in place of the typical incandescent light bulbs. The typical incandescent light bulb not only conserves energy but also is more pleasant to be around and can help people remain more alert, but the question is how much do you really conserve?

To answer this question I will be taking a survey of all of the light bulbs within my house and the number of hours the lights are on per day. I will then record my usage over two weeks and convert the wattage used in incandescent versus what would be used in LED lights by putting the formula in excel. I will then calculating my savings over the two weeks in both wattage usage and financial savings.